Monday, 02 September 2013

Buddhism: Instructions for the Not-Cook

Buddhism
Get the latest headlines from the Buddhism GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com 
Retargeting on Facebook?

Get more sales and conversions with Facebook retargeting. Try it free for 14 days. Set up takes just minutes!
From our sponsors
Instructions for the Not-Cook
Sep 2nd 2013, 10:35

Today in the U.S. we are observing Labor Day, which has become a traditional time for people to consume large quantities of grilled meat. Still living in a grumpy old lady mold, I thought this would be an appropriate time to air another festering grievance, which is with vegetarian cookbooks.

Let me preface this by saying that, once upon a time, I really enjoyed cooking. There was a time I even baked my own bread and yeast rolls. I often was complimented on my cooking. But at some point I lost interest. Something about several years of dragging myself home from demanding jobs and then preparing dinner for a couple of fussy children seems to have taken the joy out of cooking for me. As soon as the younger child left the nest, I stocked up on frozen dinners.

I have a collection of vegetarian cookbooks, purchased with much hope and good intention. Most of these I have never used. I take them off the shelf and read them occasionally, which is something like reading a travel guide instead of taking a trip. I drool over the photos of spinach mushroom crepes and polenta with garlic and  kale. And then I read the instructions for making these dishes, put the book back on the shelf, and nuke a frozen cheese pizza in the microwave.

Let me share with you my three major gripes about vegetarian cookbooks:

First -- They assume one has nothing else to do but cook. Seriously. If I used their recipes for every meal, I'd have maybe a couple of hours, tops, after the cleaning up before time to start prep for the next meal.

Second -- They assume one is cooking for several people. My only current housemate, whose name is Miss Sadie Awful Bad Cat, is not much interested in vegetarian cooking. I have seen her pounce upon and devour random vegetables that fell to the floor, but I think it's the falling motion that attracts her.

Third -- Beans and their variations, such as tofu and hummus. Love 'em. But my system can take only so much beanery before making a fuss about it.

So my quest is to collect vegetarian recipes for one person that can be prepared in little time, like five minutes or less. Actual cooking time can be longer, of course. Dishes that can be separated into one-serving portions and frozen are also good. Also, the ideal recipe should require only one pot or pan. Even more ideal -- microwaving.

Recipes may include beans and tofu, but those without beans or tofu are highly desired. Cheese and eggs are fine, as are ingredients that are canned, frozen, or otherwise pre-prepared.

has a nice section on easy vegetarian recipes, and many of these are very good, but even some of these "easy" recipes require more bother than I want to give them.

It occurs to me that many of you probably have favorite quickie veggie recipes. So, what about it? What's the stupidly simple vegetarian meal that you throw together when you don't feel like cooking? It doesn't have to be gourmet quality stuff, just reasonably edible.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment