Thursday, 29 November 2012

Buddhism: The Further Meaning of the Diamond Sutra

Buddhism
Get the latest headlines from the Buddhism GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
The Further Meaning of the Diamond Sutra
Nov 29th 2012, 10:42

Continuing my complaint that people keep assuming the Diamond Sutra is mostly about impermanence, when it isn't -- I started to write a blog post, but it got long enough I turned it into an article. So here is "The Deeper Meaning of the Diamond Sutra: It's Not About Impermanence." Those of you who express puzzlement when I say the sutra is not about impermanence, please read. You can leave comments here.

Now, I do not even pretend that I thoroughly understand the sutra myself, or that anything I say about it is the last word. I doubt there will ever be a last word. This is a deep and subtle text that takes a long time to sink into. But what I do perceive tells me plainly that if you think the sutra is just about impermanence, you haven't seen its meaning at all.

Beyond my argument, I suggest that people try a simple exercise. One, completely clear your mind of any assumptions about what the sutra is about. Two, Assume that the sutra actually ends just before the "bubble in a stream" verse -- which it may actually have, originally, according to some scholars. Now, read it. What do you see?

Not much about impermanence, I suspect. Now, you may not grasp what is being said in the sutra, which is understandable. This is a steep sutra. But I don't see how anyone could read this sutra without putting it through a pre-constructed "impermanence" filter and still say it is mostly about impermanence.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment