Sunday, 28 October 2012

Buddhism: Weather and Worry

Buddhism
Get the latest headlines from the Buddhism GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Weather and Worry
Oct 28th 2012, 21:41

Hurricane Sandy is expected to roll through my area Monday evening, New York time. I am no where near a flood zone and am prepared with flashlights, candles, water, and no-need-to-cook food in case the power goes out. I don't have a backup plan for the Internet, though, so if I lose power I may disappear for a few days.

While I'm not much worried about Sandy, I have been thinking about worry. "Restlessness and worry" are said to be the fourth of the Five Hindrances.  But while doing research I learned that the Pali word often translated as "worry," kukkucca, actually means "remorse." The Buddha doesn't seem to have given any specific advice for worry.

So where was worry all those centuries ago? Anxiety? Stress? Being a nervous wreck? Was life really so different that it wasn't a problem?

Anyway, I've been working on an article about practicing with worry, which is also an article about practicing with chronic anxiety. I've had my own struggles with chronic anxiety, which makes a meditation practice a particular challenge. Feel free to discuss, and if I don't lose power I will join in.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment