Friday, 16 March 2012

Buddhism: The God Idea

Buddhism
Get the latest headlines from the Buddhism GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
The God Idea
Mar 16th 2012, 13:50

This is a follow up to the last post, on why Buddhism does not support creationism. Mumon has a post explaining in more detail what Rinzai Zen teacher Soyen Shaku meant by "god." Not surprisingly, what Soyen Shaku meant bears little resemblance to what most monotheists think of as God.

Buddhist teachers refer to God from time to time. Last year I wrote about a Buddhist teacher who told a radio audience that Buddhists believe in God. I sorta kinda understand how such a statement could be justified. I wish teachers wouldn't say this, however, because I think it just confuses people.

I'm uninterested in attempting to convert monotheists to Buddhism. However, neither am I interested in reinforcing monotheistic beliefs. If we're going to evoke God, we owe it to listeners to explain what we mean by "God."

Going back to another essay I mentioned yesterday, "Buddhism and the God-idea" by Nyanaponika Thera. I really like this essay. Nyanaponika Thera clearly explains Buddhist teaching regarding "God" as understood in the West, but he also refutes the idea that Buddhism is atheistic as most people understand "atheism."

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment